The Finnish Federation of Allotment gardens was established in Tampere in 1930. From the beginning onwards important tasks for the federation have been giving advice, offering training and promoting the interests of allotment gardeners and associations. Today the Federation is actively working on promoting sustainable development in allotment gardens.
The oldest allotment garden site still in its original location was established in Ruskeasuo, city of Helsinki in 1918.
Today the Federation represents some 3,700 allotment gardeners. The gardeners are organised in 30 local associations all over the country. The northernmost allotment garden site in Finland – and the whole world – is located at the Polar Circle in the outskirts of the town of Rovaniemi.
The Federation is a member of the Central Organisation for Finnish Horticulture.
Since the beginning (in 1930) only associations have been approved as members of the Federation.
In 2021 the General Assembly approved new statues, which now allows membership also for private persons (status: supporting member).